Natural gas and LNG related information
Weekly Trend of Natural Gas and LNG Prices
(4 December 2023 Updated)
- The Northeast Asian assessed spot LNG price JKM for the previous week (27 November – 1 December) fell to low USD 15s on 30 November due to continued weak demand caused by ample supply and high inventory levels from high USD 16s the previous week. JKM then rose to high USD 15s on 1 December as the price declines stimulated buying interest. METI announced on 29 November that Japan’s LNG inventories for power generation as of 26 November stood at 2.33 million tons, up 0.08 million tonnes from the previous week, down 0.22 million tonnes from the end of the same month of last year and up 0.21 million tonnes from the average of the past five years.
- The European gas price TTF fell to USD 13.0/MBtu on 29 November on the back of healthy inventory levels and a stable supply-demand balance from USD 14.9/MBtu the previous week. TTF then rose to USD 13.9/MBtu on 1 December reflecting expectations of increased demand due to the cold weather. According to AGSI+, the EU-wide underground gas storage rate declined to 94.8% as of 1 December from 97.9% the previous week.
- The U.S. gas price HH fell slightly to USD 2.8/MBtu on 1 December due to reports that one-third of the U.S. could experience above-normal temperatures by mid-December, along with firm inventory levels from USD 2.9/MBtu the previous week. The EIA Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report released on 30 November showed U.S. natural gas inventories as of 24 November at 3,836 Bcf, up 10 Bcf from the previous week and up 9.8% from the same period last year. This was an 8.6% increase over the five-year average.
Monthly spot LNG prices for delivery to Japan
JOGMEC conducts a survey on spot LNG prices for delivery to Japan with the cooperation of companies that are end-consumers of spot LNG and publishes monthly average spot LNG prices from April 2021.
JOGMEC publishes monthly reports on trends in natural gas and LNG prices in Japan, other Northeast Asian countries, the U.S. and Europe, LNG inventories in Japan, underground storage of natural gas in the U.S. and Europe, and the latest developments in LNG projects around the world.
Natural gas and LNG Data Hub
JOGMEC compiled and published a wide range of information and data on global natural gas and LNG trends based on publicly available information as “Natural Gas and LNG Data Hub”.
Survey on Destination Clauses and Price Indices in LNG SPAs
JOGMEC conducted a survey on the current status of the destination restrictions in LNG SPAs with the full cooperation of Japanese LNG buyers and published the results as below.
Survey on LNG Handling Volume by Japanese Companies
JOGMEC conducted a survey on the volume of LNG handled by Japanese companies, including transactions supplied to third countries (“external trade”) with the full cooperation of all 30 companies which handle LNG, and published the results.
Important notice: Statistical data may be retroactively adjusted
The information contained on the website is provided for the general information purposes only, and does not include, nor shall it be construed as including investment advice on, advice on the merits of, or a recommendation in relation to, buying, selling, subscribing for or underwriting any securities, shares or other financial investments of any kind. JOGMEC does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of such information, and shall have no liability for any losses or damages which may arise from using or relying on the information. As the information on prices is partly provided by S&P Global Platts, you are allowed to use the Platts Material for internal purposes only and shall not store, reproduce or further distribute the Platts Material to any third party for any purpose in any format or by any means, including via the Internet, Intranet or other type of network. When using the information apart from the Platts Material, please cite the source from JOGMEC. Copyright (C) Japan Organization for Metals and Energy Security All Rights Reserved.
For JKM provided by Platts in the price graph at the top of this page, you acknowledge and agree that:
- The Platts Material has been prepared by S&P Global Platts (Source: © 2023 by S&P Global Platts, a division of S&P Global Inc. All rights reserved).
- You agree to only use the Platts Material for internal purposes and shall not store, reproduce or further distribute the Platts Material to any third party for any purpose in any format or by any means, including via the Internet, Intranet or other type of network.
- You acknowledge and agree that Platts, its affiliates, or its licensors own the Platts Material, and all intellectual property rights therein, including, without limitation, any patent, trade secret, copyright, and trademark rights (whether or not such rights are registered).
- Platts, its affiliates, and their respective third party licensors disclaim any and all warranties and representations, express or implied, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or use with respect to the Platts Material, including any information or data contained therein or the results obtained by their use or the performance thereof. None of Platts, its affiliates, or their respective third party licensors guarantees the adequacy, accuracy, timeliness or completeness of the Platts Material or any component thereof or of any communications with respect thereto. None of Platts, its affiliates or their respective third party licensors shall be subject to any damages or liability for any errors, omissions, interruptions, or delays in the Platts Material. The Platts Material and all components thereof are provided on an 'as is' basis and JOGMEC website users’ use of the Platts Material is at their own risk. The Platts Material should not be regarded as financial or other professional advice.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, in no event whatsoever shall Platts, its affiliates or their respective third party licensors be liable for any indirect, special, incidental, punitive or consequential damages, including but not limited to, loss of profits, trading loss, lost time or goodwill, even if they have been advised of the possibility of such damages, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise. None of Platts, its affiliates or their respective third party licensors shall be liable for any claims against JOGMEC website users by third parties.